Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 15 1994 - 13:18:01 PDT

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "JefWNDHNTR" <JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 16:18:01 EDT
Subject: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

On Wednesday June 29th, the Board of Directors the San Francisco Boardsailing
Association (SFBA) will meet with the National Park Service (NPS) and the SF
Fire Department and Rescue (SFFDR). This is the third time we have met to
discuss poosible restricitons for access to Crissy by Windsurfers. Currently
under consideration is a proposal to require that all sailors purchase a
"Special Use Permit" in order to launch from Crissy. The rationale for such
a proposal is that many of the problems at Crissy come not from "regulars",
but from new sailors, and tourists who want to "try Crissy" without having
the necessary windsurfing or self-rescue skills. The fee would be nominal,
but would allow for more self-policing: If you did not have a permit and the
reuired "rescue-pak", you would not be allowed to sail. Enforcement is an
issue, but presumably we "regulars" would try to "inform" newcomers of the
requirement.

This memo is being send to cybernet windsurfers around the world. I am
asking for memos (approving, disapproving), suggestions, and comments. If we
don't come up with some ideas on our own, the NPS or Coast Guard may have
their own ideas. The impetus for this action is coming from the NPS,CG, and
SFFDR: they feel that rescueing downed windsurfers has become too much of a
time and money drain for their limited resources. Given that Crissy is
unique in the world a high-wind urban windsurfing site, we should all be
concerned about access.

I invite all of you to email me with your comments. I would especially like
to impress the local authorities with notes from sailors around the world.
 Sent email to:

Jeff Bunch
Jefwndhntr@aol.com-DeleteThis <= for email respones to this memo
Bunchjef.@nycpbc.prufsg.com<= for immediate attention by me