Re: lucky to be alive today

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 10:33:13 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 10:33:13 -0700
From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis>

> 4. tether the mast to the board.

I usually tie the mast foot to the mast extension, but one time it
didn't help. I was sailing between the Emeryville Marina and the Bay
Bridge. I hadn't tightened the mast foot to the board well enough,
and on a jibe it slid to the end of the track and came off. I fell in
and the board went off downwind, clearly too fast for me to even think
of trying to swim after it. Luckily my buddy Klaus was sailing
towards me. I waved and pointed towards the board. He was able to
catch it, then I swam down to him, dragging the rig, and reconnected
them.

I wasn't that far from shore and there is little or no tide in that
area, so I was never in danger, but I would have certainly lost the
rig, and probably the board as well, without a nearby buddy. ---Luigi