Re: Sunday Sailing

From: Justin Gordon (justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 07:04:44 PDT

From: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sunday Sailing
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 07:04:44 PDT

--- Begin Included Message ---

> > Wait a minute, what time Sunday evening? I left Crissy Sunday, at about
> > 5:00pm, as it was a gusty, bad day! This seem to be a common feeling
> > by most of the sailors I talked to. From about 3:30 to 4:15 it cranked
> > up with gusts to 40, but it was very gusty (15-40 with an average of
> > shit)! Then it dropped down to a point that I couldn't get powered on
> > my 8'6" and 5.0 sail. What gives?
>
> I sailed Crissy on Sunday from 4:45 to about 7 on a 8'8" and a 4.2 and I
> had a great time (I'm 160#). The wind was gusty the whole time and
> lighter when I initially went out but it picked up significantly once
> the fog rolled in. I achieved a fully powered plane *every* reach and
> on several occasions was so overpowered that my board did some
> serious tail walking. The ramps were better than the past few times
> I've been there - farther apart, bigger and steeper rather than the usual
> close together washboard chop. I think I got the biggest air I've gotten
> all season.
>
> -matt

> Yea, I think that was the trick, using a slightly floaty board. I was on my
> total sinker 8'6", and I weigh 225lbs. I really felt every hole; an 8.8 or
> 8.10 would have smoothed things out considerably.

> ~jim

I'm the one who initially gave the Crissy Sunday evening sail report.
I weigh 200 pounds and used a F2 Axis 260 (8'5 94L) with a 4.8 race sail.
The sail handled the gusts very well. I had more SCARY speed than I knew
what to do with.

>From Greg Stump's "Groove in the Requiem,":
The American speed skier in France used described
speed skiing by saying that "You get going over a hundred miles per hour
and you are pretty gripped by the bottom
of the run because you don't want to fall."

On Sunday, "I was pretty gripped the whole time."

That kind of wind velocity is really addictive.

Justin Gordon
email: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis
phone: 415.267.1287

Mellon Capital Management