Wind Yesterday

From: Justin Gordon (justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 10 1994 - 14:29:39 PDT

From: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Wind Yesterday
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 14:29:39 PDT

There was plenty of wind on the outside of Crissy Field.
I was fully powered to overpowered on a 6.0 race sail.

Smaller people were on 5.0s and 5.5s.

HOWEVER, the wind died completely on the inside, resulting
in a 45 minute swim against a strong current. The sailing
was great, but the swim was not much fun. I did sail until 7:30 pm.
Those who came in earlier did not have this problem.

I tried a new technique of self rescuing:
I did the backstroke with the nose of my board wrapped between
my knees. I tied the boom to my rear footstrap to keep the sail
centered over the tail of my board. It worked fairly well.

Has anybody else ever tried this? Does anybody have any tips for
efficiently swimming a half mile to shore. Note, I do not believe
that bailing an expensive rig is an option unless under life threatening
circumstances. Also, I agree with those that recommend a warm
wetsuit. With my dry suit (that I bought for New England sailing), I
could spend hours in the bay and stay plenty warm.

Crissy field is averaging 24 out of the south-west as of 2:00pm.

Justin Gordon
email: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis
phone: 415.267.1287

Mellon Capital Management