Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 17:39:26 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 17:39:26 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

> One of my friends works at the Coast Guard station that responds to the
> windsurfer in distress calls at crissy. Part of the frustration on the
> part of the Coast Guard is that all too often the distress call is actually
> a false alarm. Either the person making the call didn't realize that the
> windsurfer was adjusting his equipment or making taking a rest, in which case
> the windsurfer is gone by the time they get their 44' life board and
> a crew of four out to the area.

Are there many cases where people are spotted from land rather than
on the water? If you find someone in the water, you can certainly
find out whether they really need help. If someone is in the water,
hoping to be spotted from the shore, they should be sitting on their
board peridically and doing the two-arm distress wave.

I suspect that more often people keep towing, or swimming, or repairing
and make it in before the Coast Guard arrives.

> The Coast Guard doesn't have a problem going to the aid of a
> windsurfer truely in distress, it's just all the false alarms that
> they object too. My friend suggests that ideally windsurfers carry
> some kind of distress signaling device, perferrable radio. I don't
> know if a small, waterproof device like this exists, but if it does
> it's not a bad suggestion.

Does anyone know of a truly waterproof marine radio? I'd be happy to
carry one if I thought it would last. Oh yeah, it has to be
shock-resistant, too!

"I post, therefore I am." -- Rene Descartes on Usenet