Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 15:36:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 15:36:05 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

> > I wonder if the SFBA could not negotiate a fixed (reasonable) rate with
> > a local boat towing service, (maybe out of Coyote Marina) that could be
> > contacted by Coast Guard once they have established that it is not a
> > life or death situation. If properly presented to the C.G., it may
> > cool them off a bit about dealing with "those windsurfers". They would
> > only be left to deal with sailors who are injured, or are seriously
> > hypothermic.
>
> Who can accurately make this determination? Not to be picky, but given
> our litigious society, I can't imagine the Coast Guard not responding
> to a call that comes in. If they didn't respond, and the person was
> hurt or killed, they would be sued and have a jury award a massive
> deep-pocket judgement against them.

Yes, that certainly is a sticky area, especially if someone made a bad
call. The coast guard would be depending on the person making the call
to make the determination of life threat. In boating, this is standard
procedure for the coast guard to call a towing service for stranded
boats that are not in danger. But the Coast Guard is able to radio the
capt of the boat directly, and establish the situation first hand.
Given the predicament of a windsurfer being stuck *in* the water, the
chance of it not being a threating situation is much smaller.

> > Actually, if the tow service were local (such as Coyote)
> > they could be contacted directly by anyone with a hand held marine band
> > radio. Get a few SFBA volunteers to always carry one, and a virtual
> > "safety patrol" network could be set up as a first line, and maybe save
> > a lot of Coast Guard agravation.
>
> Yes, the calls would have to avoid the CG entirely otherwise I can't
> imagine them not getting involved.

Also, come to think of it, the coast guard monitors channel 16 (marine
band) which is specifically set aside for coast guard emergency calls. One
of these radio's could make emergency contacts much more accessable and
affordable than a cellular phone. Another good reason to maybe put some of
these in the hands of a few SFBA volunteers.

~Jim

Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015