Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Rob Garneau (robg@Cadence.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 13:57:08 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 13:57:08 -0700
From: robg@Cadence.COM-DeleteThis (Rob Garneau)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

> Will wrote:
>
> > I think that something like a season permit creates the right
> > economic environment for the Coast Guard. If an increasing number of
> > windsurfers has the effect of increasing their revenues, I think that they
> > are going to take our interests more to heart.
>
> I think that's probably the right to handle things, as long as you add a
> "windsurfing on the Bay without a permit is a $XXX fine". You obviously
> can't really enforce that, but anyone who is serious about the sport and
> recognizes the possibility and seriousness of breaking down would (probably,
> although I know there would be exceptions) get a permit. It's a pretty
> cheap insurance policy, the way I look at it. If you breakdown and need a
> rescue and you don't have a permit, you pay the fine. I know that still puts
> a financial coloring on the decision to call the Coast Guard for someone
> who chooses not to get the permit, but hey, you got to take *some*
> responsibility for your actions. Windsurfing has inherent dangers, and
> we all have to make choices on how to deal with them if we choose to engage
> in this activity.

>From what I read from the original rescue posting, the Coast Guard is
still willing to rescue downed windsurfers so why fix it if it ain't
broke...yet? We all spend a large part of our hard earned money on
taxes so it could be said that we are spending more of our tax money on
backup safety for our favorite pastime. Others get the benefit of their
tax dollars supporting their preferred activities. For example, some
people spend their time frequenting National parks which are also
heavily subsidized by taxes (even though there is an entry fee) and may
also require rescue because of a broken ankle on a long hike.

If at some time the Coast Guard says that they are not going to rescue
windsurfers for "free" anymore, then we ought to start considering other
alternatives.

Rob