Re: Rescue at 3rd

From: Dag Johansen Esq. (dagj@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 09:34:39 PDT

From: dagj@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Dag Johansen Esq.)
Subject: Re: Rescue at 3rd
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT)

> About 5:30 I came on a sailor (Mark Paris) who had broken off his fin.
> He was near the middle of the channel, directly across the wind from the
> new launch at 3rd. He was on a biggish board (125 liters) and a big
> sail since he had started sailing early. He had his harness tied around
> the board, but was not able to make much headway towards the shore that
> way - he would get up and slog sideways for a bit and then fall back in.
> Since he had to do this without harness, he was getting pretty tired.
>
> Lessons learned:
>
> The harness around the tail trick is hard to use. In retrospect,
> it might have worked better if we had loosened the harness
> to create more drag.

Well, I once had the exact same problem happen at the exact
same place (had a fin break off while way out at 3rd Ave.), so
I'll repeat my advice. Don't bother with the harness around
the tail trick. It is *very* tiring, difficult, and slow. At
placecs like 3rd Ave you are better off wearing the harness and
sailing 45 degrees downwind such that you end up on shore
way downwind of the launch site. Then all you have to do is
walk back up the nice bike path to the launch site, get your
car, and drive back for your equipment. Don't hesitate to
call the Coast Guard in emergencies, but I don't want
windsurfers to get the reputation of people who abuse the
Coast Guard services. We shouldn't need to be rescued everytime
a piece of equipment breaks.

                         -Dag