Re: Rescue at 3rd

From: Stephen York (Stephen.York@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 08:08:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 08:08:46 -0700
From: Stephen.York@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Stephen York)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue at 3rd

I have listened to several people discuss this subject. It IS possible
to tow someone in. It is pretty tricky, and is very strenuous. You have
to be powered, and the balance is a nightmare. I have towed someone in
on my 8'8" board, which is sinky, BTW. I had to tow him from the orange
runway piers at the airport all the way back to coyote. We did this
with a 15' line. We derigged and rolled up his sail, stacked the boom,
sail and mast on his board. Then he laid on the board. The line was
tied to his mast base and my rear footstrap. The towing was pretty
strenuous, and I was beat by the time we made it in. But I got him all
the way to the beach. We were actaully planing a few times. :)

My friends and I have replaced booms, masts, and fins by carrying them
out to people after they break theirs. I think the key is that we have
to stick together. Never, ever, ignore people who are down in the water
and don't get up and sail for a long time.

        Steve York
        (too busy working to sail the great wind we are having)