Crissy rescue Sat.

From: TADROSAH@ssv004.ssd.loral.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon May 16 1994 - 11:24:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 11:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: TADROSAH@ssv004.ssd.loral.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Crissy rescue Sat.

Sat. afternoon at Crissy, killer day of 4.5 sailing when I came upon a guy
trying to tow in a board with a rig still attached to it -- one sailor,
two boards and rigs... bad news -- someone could be out lost in the bay without
their gear. The guy is having trouble towing the gear so I turn around and
stop to see if he needs help. He says yes. I ask where the rig/board came from,
where the other sailor was...? It turns out the missing sailor blew out his
knee and was going into shock. Someone had already towed him in leaving all the
gear to be towed in by this guy I came across.

So the two of us decide that he would tow the board in and I'd tow in the
rig. Well, towing the board was no problem -- he was up and gone. Towing the
rig was a joke! After a few failed waterstarts with the rig tied off to my
back foot strap, my mast base & my harness, another sailor stopped and asked
if he could help. We decided to break down the rig and he'd take the two piece
mast and boom and I'd roll up the sail & tie it off along the top of my board.
Fortunately for my cold toes, this worked well and I was out-a there.

I'd like to know if there is any easier way to tow a rig? With two people, you
can break down a rig in the chop & wind without losing anything, but I couldn't
have done it alone. Also, is it just my observation or is it truth that about
one in 20 Bay Area sailors will see a messed up situation and actually ask if
they can help? That was the most disturbing part of the whole ordeal.

Al Tadros