From: Alan Segervall (alans@berlioz.nsc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 09 1994 - 08:22:20 PDT

Date: Mon, 9 May 94 08:22:20 PDT
From: alans@berlioz.nsc.com-DeleteThis (Alan Segervall)
To: glen@sun-valley.nsc.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: g

More on self rescue stuff
Cc: alans@berlioz.nsc.com-DeleteThis

Glen,

Sorry I did not add more details to my earlier email on rescue.

Parachute cord is exactly what I use. It's plenty strong and the amount it
stretches really helps smooth out the pull when you start to drag your
friend along. It is compact, and if you wrap it lengthwise around a small
6" piece of wood with notches as I suggested, it is easy to unwind out in
the drink and if you tie one end to the cord to the wood you can use it to
toss the line to your friend (and you don't loose it).
For tie downs I use 1/2" nylon webbing with the clip type ladder locks.
You can sew it together your self or buy ready made straps at REI. Check
the backpacking/climbing section. The clip type is better because you
don't have to thread it thru the cleat (which requires both hands and takes
several seconds while your stuff trys to float away).

I use a fanny pack. If your harness does not have provisions to attach a
fanny pack it's easy to sew a couple of loops out of nylon webbing on the top
edge. One item I have found to be very useful is a stitching awl (look for
it at REI). A stitching awl has heavy nylon thread and is great for repairing
harnesses, sails, you name it!.

Spending a little time getting prepared for a rescue is well worth it. If
you end up in a situation and you are not prepared you wish to hell you had
done something to get ready.

Besides windsurfing I've done a lot of mountaineering, ice climbing, rock
climbing, back packing, and back country sking. I've been in many gnarly
situations and know full well how important it is to be prepared!

Hope that helps,

Alan Segervall
alans@berlioz.nsc.com-DeleteThis
(415) 726-1954