Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 27 1994 - 16:27:37 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 16:27:37 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

> To get to the point: I need help from Bay Area windsurfers locating some
> buildings where we can install a sensor for Coyote and for Third Ave.

I think this is an erroneous starting point. The only buildings that
will give really good readings are the piers downwind of the runways and
the San Mateo Bridge. Any building on the shore south of the airport
is *usually* inside the wind line (that, is, out of the wind).
But the wind line moves in and out, so conditions on the beach are
hard to correct to predict the conditions on the water.

I think we need to work out a remote sensor. I think a workable
location would be to put a sensor on one of the channel markers
near the Coyote Point Harbor entrance and put rest of the windtalker
in the harbor master's office. The end of the jetty is not always
beyond the windline, but it usually is. The harbor master's office
is shadowed by the point itself, however.

So come on, techno-weenies, let's figure out some remote sensor.
Ideally, we'd have something to measure wind speed and direction plus
temp and dewpoint, but I think we could get by with just wind speed.
Low maintainence is key, because the remote sensor must be made
inaccessable to the public to avoid vandalism. Low cost is going to
be important, too.

> P.S. Micro Forecasts has offered to install a sensor at San Luis if the
> users can help raise half the cost ($500 of $1000). They don't think the
> site is going to pay for itself, so that's why they are taking that approach.
> Apparently some guy in the Valley is coordinating raising money for that
> site, so if you are interested contact me and I'll give you his
> name/number.

Post it!

"The situation is hopeless, but not yet desperate."
                                        -- Russian proverb