Re: Coyote 4/17/94

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 18 1994 - 16:03:29 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Coyote 4/17/94
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 94 16:03:29 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Ken Poulton writes:
> > I agree that there is an illusion of more wind appearing upwind.
> > However, at Coyote, there is often more wind upwind. On several
> > occasions, I have found the wind up near the airport to be one to two
> > sail sizes stronger than the wind further down wind. By "up near the
> > airport" I am referring to the area east of that long red pier and
> > continuing out toward the bird cage. Ever notice how it is often much
> > windier at Flying Tigers than at Coyote?
>
> Sure, because you're also going NE across the wind, toward the middle of
> the wind channel. The long red pier is about a mile upwind, but it is
> also 3/4 mile across the wind. Tigers is 2 or 3 miles cross-wind,
> sitting near the middle of the wind channel formed by the San Bruno gap.

I think everyone agrees that normally the farther out you go towards the
wind channel, the windier it gets. However, I would also assert that
the further north you go toward the San Bruno gap, the windier it gets.
This may be due to a venturi affect near the San Bruno gap. How else
would you explain that there are many days when Tigers and Coyote are
sailable but 3rd Ave is not. I have also heard many reports when 3rd
had good 5.0 wind but Tigers was getting 4.0 wind. On upwinders from
3rd Ave and Coyote to Tigers in the middle of the channel, I also found
the wind to be stronger going North. The only times I have heard
reports of more wind at 3rd than Coyote or Tigers is when the fog has
moved in and covered Tigers and Coyote but not 3rd. My strategy has
always been to go north when the wind looks weak at 3rd or Coyote.

-matt