Re: Coyote 4/17/94

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 18 1994 - 14:37:36 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Coyote 4/17/94
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 94 14:37:36 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Ken Poulton writes:
> ShreddinEd@aol.com-DeleteThis writes:
>
> > It seemed like there was a definite wind line from the edge of the
> > parking lot at the opposite side of the lagoon straight out.
>
> "There's more wind upwind." You hear it all the time, you see it often,
> but it's just an illusion. You're looking at the whitecaps. Whitecaps
> are more visible on the downwind side of a swell. You look upwind,
> you always see more white than looking downwind.
>
> The illusion seems to be strongest when the wind is most marginal - just
> barely capping.

I agree that there is an illusion of more wind appearing upwind.
However, at Coyote, there is often more wind upwind. On several
occasions, I have found the wind up near the airport to be one to two
sail sizes stronger than the wind further down wind. By "up near the
airport" I am referring to the area east of that long red pier and
continuing out toward the bird cage. Ever notice how it is often much
windier at Flying Tigers than at Coyote?

When sailing up near the airport, you should always pay attention to the
wind conditions down wind and near the launch site. The differential in
wind speed can be so great that you can be fully powered near the
airport but not have enough wind to even waterstart in the area down
wind and closer to the beach. This has happened to me a couple of
times. On one occasion, I actually had to swim in to the beach.

-matt