Re: MAUI

From: boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Mar 09 1994 - 15:14:31 PST

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 94 15:14:31 PST
From: boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: MAUI

May, in my opinion, is the best month on Maui. The year I lived there,
the best month I had was one May, when I sailed 21 days in a row -
about 7 on a 4.5, the rest on 4.0 or 3.5. That was probably
exceptional - the wind is usually a little better in June. But in May,
you still have some good wavesailing, and the crowds and prices are
MUCH less.

Ohukai beach in Kihei is the most popular for flat water - at the
intersection of Ohukai St. and Kihei Road. Easy access, and grass to
rig on. Kanaha beach park behind the Kahului airport is the least
intimidating place to sail the waves; Spreklesville is a couple of
miles east, and more difficult - ask how to get there at a local shop.

Rentals will run you around $50/day for a complete outfit. I don't
think the rates vary much - if you like Mistral boards, go to
Windrigger (on Dairy Road) and ask for Gail - tell her Jeff Boehm said
hello (which probably won't get you a deal, but you can try).