Re: Stolen Board

From: Will Estes (westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1993 - 12:15:34 PST

From: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Will Estes)
Subject: Re: Stolen Board
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 12:15:34 -0800 (PST)

'TADROSAH@ssv004.ssd.loral.com-DeleteThis says:'
> We all worry about it at times... it happened to me this weekend. While
> parked in a secured parking lot in Santa Clara Saturday night, someone
> helped themselves to my 9'0" Hi-Tech board and Diamond Back Apex bike.
>
> The board has a colorful (yellow & orange) lightning bolt pattern on it. I've
> only seen one other like it in the bay area. I had a 13.5" Rainbow fin on it at
> the time and it was in a gray carrying bag.
>
> If anyone sees a board like this up for sale, I'd appreciate a note. It'll
> probably end up at a local flee market or sports equipment pawn shop? By the
> looks of things, the thief was out to take whatever he/she found and was not
> really looking for windsurfers.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.

Bummer, Al, sorry to hear about this. Stories like this are part of
the reason I moved from sports car to minivan, so I could keep
everything locked inside a car with privacy glass. Shame we have to
do such things....

Does anyone have any recommendations about how to permanently mark a
board with some emblem/word so that this can be used for positive
identification? In addition to an external marking, I think one good
idea would be to write a short message into the top of the fin you
place in the board that says something like:

        "If this board has been sold to
        you, please call: xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Odds are a thief would be too lazy to take the board apart and
check for this, whereas a potential buyer might see it.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis