Windsurfer Death at 3ed

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1993 - 22:58:51 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 22:58:51 -0700
From: schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@hpl-milo.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Windsurfer Death at 3ed
Cc: kenf@netcom.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, geisinger@admin.fhda.edu-DeleteThis, fred_schmidt@hpd700.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, hahn@gigantor.nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, kenb@hpinddu.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, kirk@hpoclpa.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, luigi@paris.cs.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis, matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@hpldsl5.sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, pauld@corp.sgi.com-DeleteThis (Paul Delzio), walter_menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis

A windsurfer was not breathing when he was found face down in the water
1/2 mile out and half way between the old and new launch sites at 3ed
today. He was assisted by many sailors and then air lifted by a Coast
Guard helicopter from the water at about 5:00. It was reported that he
had a history of heart trouble. I got this information from another
sailor and I do not know it originated from a medical tag, a friend, or
supposition. I do not have any names or physical descriptions. The
dead sailor's rig was not located and is probably still be in the water.

If anyone finds out who this was, I would like to get the name.
I would also like to know how he did indeed get injured. Was he
knocked unconscious, or did he in fact have a heart attack.

A minor detail, sailing conditions were good. I sailed from 3:20-5:30
on a 8'6" Glass bump and jump with a 5.4 monofilm Windwing sail. Nice
swell and fully powered 95+% of the time.

Schuh

========
Michael J. Schuh, MS 227-6 | schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis
NASA Ames Research Center | Phone: (415) 604-1460
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 | FAX: (415) 604-4357