3rd Sunday

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1993 - 02:55:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 93 02:55:57 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Sunday

=========== Sun 12 Sep 93

I went to the Windsurf Warehouse swap meet - many things for sale, but
it was not clear that many were being sold. Tried to buy Gorge Racks,
but there were none at the sale and WW was out. Anyone have a used set
of Gorge Racks to sell?

Will and I went to 3rd, arriving around 3:00 (and therefore parking in
front of the No Parking signs on the road in). I rigged 5.2/8'8, Will
rigged 5.7 since he was feeling pessimistic about the wind (and his next
smaller sail is 4.7). I figured from another sailor's report that the
Tiga 257 would be nice in the channel swell, but I wanted to try out my
new VXT2 fin (on the CFX 8'8) first. I was kind of disappointed. It
seemed to be more prone to spinout than my Blast-N fins; I had expected
it to be less, if anything. Other than that, I did not notice any
differences. Is anyone else using these?

It did seem that that fin was real fast - in dragging with Dan, I was
able to keep up with him or pull away slightly - quite a lot better than
the last time we sailed together. It turned out, however, that Dan was
on a 9'5 board, so we can conclude nothing from those trials.

I then zigged when I should have zagged: the swell in the channel was
confused, but still big enough to make nice launching ramps, so I
went in about 5:00 and switched to the 257. About that time the
wind backed off and the swell died down. Oh well. At least I
had (barely) enough wind to plane in. Will and I traded gear for
a while - we were surprsingly evenly matched between my 5.2/257 and
his 5.7/8'8, at least once my gear got on a plane.

Ken