Re: A Place for West *and* Northwest Winds?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1993 - 11:14:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 11:14:16 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@hpl-milo.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  A Place for West *and* Northwest Winds?

I would guess that Tigers is best placed to always get wind,
until the fog actually arrives there. It had arrived by 6:00 - you can
tell because the observation is

        1750 SFO 61 55 280 19 . 25 29.86 m8 bkn

meaning "broken cover at 800 feet". At the same time, the wind dropped
and turned more westerly.

Because the fog was coming in so far, 3rd was the place to be yesterday.
Even 3rd got passed by the fog stream (SFO to Fremont) by 6:30. There
was wind in the channel until at least 7:30, but it shut off inside
around 6:30. I've never seen so many people slogging back in so late -
at 7:45 there were still 5 people out, two near the channel marker.
The atmosphere in the new rigging area was like a big party - everyone
was jazzed to have had such good conditions.

Ken Poulton
poulton@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis