Re: Where's the wind? I know where....

From: Will Estes (westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 27 1993 - 12:51:36 PDT

From: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Will Estes)
Subject: Re: Where's the wind?  I know where....
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 12:51:36 PDT
Cc: sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, poulton@hplms2.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis (Ken Poulton), matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis

'sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis says:'
> > Anyone else notice that ever since Jeremy came down here, the normal
> > wind patterns have stopped and the storms seem to be rolling in one
> > after another? I asked him to bring down some of that Gorge wind
> > but it looks like he just brought some of that dreary, stormy Orgeon
> > weather. This weather must make him feel right at home.
>
> Jeremy, go home..... I think you got it wrong, bring gorge wind NOT
> gorge rain!!!
>
> The latest forecast looks pretty dismal. Today and Fri are supposed to
> be like yesterday, Sat is clearing a little (probably not enough for
> the wind to build), and then Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed are supposed to be like
> yesterday again..... Maybe it's time to go to Aruba.
>
> Anyone know how Rio or San Luis is during these storms?

Given the wimpiness of the winds, I think all locations will suck in
the Bay Area. Now if we were getting violent southerlies, then
there would be some choices....

As I posted to this list a few days ago, Tahoe is the place to be
during low southerly winds. I have done some additional research and
here is what I have found:

- There is a lake named Washoe on the east side of Tahoe, south on
395 and north of Carson City. It is the place to be for Tahoe
sailors during southerlies. The wind comes off the east side of Mount
Rose through a valley and over Washoe.

- According to the folks at High Sierra Sports (702-851-0200),
Washoe HAS BEEN GETTING 5.0 WIND every day this week! The
windtalker by the lake is 702-849-3340. The wind comes up around
2:00 p.m. and dies around 7:30 p.m.

- Washoe is in a valley, and the water is warm enough that you can
get by on a shorty (or so High-Sierra claims....)

Now I for one am definitely up for a field trip to this place. I
started my season very late, and I have only been out twice now.
This damn low-pressure system has totally devastated our sailing
month, and I am not going to take it sitting down. I say take the
kids, take the wife, take the girlfriend, and take the dog to Tahoe
for a weekend. Let the wife and kids shop in North Tahoe or join
you sailing, and spend the days sailing Washoe. Contact me if you
are interested in putting something together for the weekend.

Finally, is it possible for us to use the windsurf mailing list at
windspeed@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis instead of building these pieces of mail
with 20 users courtesy-copied? My mailer is core-dumping trying to
respond to these things. :)

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis